It is not at all clear to me that the notion of an empty dataset is illogical.

In another guise they are already familiar to all of us.  Consider the
two datasets of

//GUBBINS0  DD DUMMY, . . .
//GUBBINS1  DD DSN=NULLFILE, . . .

If you attempt to read from either of these datasets EOF is raised
immediately.  If you write to one of them what you write goes down
Orwell's memory hole.

Is a PL/?I varying string, one that can have any length between zero
and its maximal, allocated or declared length, illogical?

Or again, consider the HLASM character set symbol of

|&text     setc   ''

After the execution of this set statement k'&text is zero;  The value
of &text is a nul string, one of length zero; and such strings have
many important uses.

The Identification of the familiar with the logical and the unfamiliar
with the illogical is not a helpful notion.

--jg