It was pointed out earlier that creating a 'dummy enqueue' for
serialization can be accomplished without actually specifying a data set
name at all. I haven't tried that but won't contest it--as long as
serialization is required only in a single task. But there is one very
'logical' place for a similar strategy. Some ancient and venerable MVS
utilities require, for certain functions, that a *volume* be allocated
separately from the function itself. In batch, one can code something like
this:

//MYVOL  DD DISP=OLD,VOL=SER=xxxxxx

That does not work in TSO. The command 'alloc dd(myvol) old vol(xxxxxx)'
gets the prompt 'IKJ56700A ENTER DATA SET NAME -'. I have used a
zero-space data set (NEW) for this purpose. It works quite well.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services