And they just had that Derecheo that shutdown off the Amazon Cloud
server farm in Virginia.

95% of american are able to use the internet?  Seems a bit high.  I
thought the usage rate was about 80%.

Q.  Is the cloud a subset of the internet that runs on servers that
are assigned on demand, instead of dedicated?  I would hate to think
banks would trust their data to server nodes that bounce around from
server to server.  Facebook, twitter, yahoo, google, sure.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Eric Bielefeld <eric-ibmm...@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> I have to disagree with the premise that stormy weather can't interfere with
> the cloud.  If I'm at home, and a storm with high winds causes my electricity
> to be disconnected as a result of the tree in my back yard hitting the power
> line that goes through it, my power goes off.  My internet stops working.
> That doesn't happen often, but is a direct result of the storm.
>
> --
> Eric Bielefeld
> Systems Programmer
>

> ---- "McKown wrote:
>> http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/lp/lp_2328330.asp
>>

>> <quote>
>> The survey carried out on 1000 adult americans of age 18 and more paint a
>> disturbing picture: 54% of americans do not know what the cloud is and claim
>> to never have used it. But, from these, 95% use it regularly for online
>> banking, online shopping, social sites such as Facebook or Twitter and
>> online sharing of photos and files. All of these services operate within the
>> cloud, but it would seem that not everyone understands this. Also, another
>> alarming number is that  51% of the surveyed Americans think that stormy
>> weather can interfere with the functionality of the cloud.
>> </quote>
>>

>> --
>> John McKown
>> Systems Engineer IV