Lizette's point that IBM can change the information in a PDS directory
without notice is of course generically correct

That conceded, such changes have been infrequent for many years; and
the functional stabilization of PDS support that came about with the
introduction of PDSEs makes further such changes unlikely.  Brutally
put, PDSEs are changing, PDSs are not.

Have you succeeded in opening your PDS as a sequential file?

--jg