I have never understood the fixation with rock bottom return codes. SMP/E
maintenance is so much simpler without agonizing over every uneven
cobblestone along the path.

1. RECEIVE HOLDDATA the same day you begin installing. If you're not sure
how fresh your HOLDDATA is, pull it again. The cost is trivial.

2. APPLY CHECK (as others have said) excluding nothing but HOLDSYS.

3, Study the CAUSER report. If you see only messages about unresolved HOLD
errors, you are good to go. Don't waste time building EXCLUDE lists. SMP/E
will exclude error sysmods without your having to lift a finger. By
design.

4. Resubmit the job with the word CHECK commented out. P.S. do not edit
the source JCL; use SDSF SJ (or other product equivalent) so that the next
submit from your CNTL library will retain CHECK.

5. Expect RC 8. (Anything less is miraculous. A miracle won't get you a
raise or a hot date.)

6. Study the CAUSER report again. If all you see are unresolved HOLD
errors, you're done. Move on.

7. If you see space or directory errors, you MUST fix them now. Use PDS
command (or StarTool if you have it) to fix these errors. Modify secondary
extents and/or directory blocks as needed. Then return to Step 4.

If you are deeply disturbed by RC 8, either take a (physician prescribed)
pill, or spend some of your vast spare time researching each error sysmod.
If you determine that your shop desperately  needs a particular PTF in
error, then open an SR to see if IBM will give you an APAR testfix. This
is itself the start of a whole new adventure that you may come to rue down
the road. Reconsider the pill option. It's your choice.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services