From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Skip Robinson
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMP/E question

I have never understood the fixation with rock bottom return codes. SMP/E
maintenance is so much simpler without agonizing over every uneven cobblestone
along the path.

1. RECEIVE HOLDDATA the same day you begin installing. If you're not sure how
fresh your HOLDDATA is, pull it again. The cost is trivial.

2. APPLY CHECK (as others have said) excluding nothing but HOLDSYS.

3, Study the CAUSER report. If you see only messages about unresolved HOLD
errors, you are good to go. Don't waste time building EXCLUDE lists. SMP/E will
exclude error sysmods without your having to lift a finger. By design.

4. Resubmit the job with the word CHECK commented out. P.S. do not edit the
source JCL; use SDSF SJ (or other product equivalent) so that the next submit
from your CNTL library will retain CHECK.

5. Expect RC 8. (Anything less is miraculous. A miracle won't get you a raise
or a hot date.)

6. Study the CAUSER report again. If all you see are unresolved HOLD errors,
you're done. Move on.

7. If you see space or directory errors, you MUST fix them now. Use PDS command
(or StarTool if you have it) to fix these errors. Modify secondary extents
and/or directory blocks as needed. Then return to Step 4.

If you are deeply disturbed by RC 8, either take a (physician prescribed) pill,
or spend some of your vast spare time researching each error sysmod.
If you determine that your shop desperately  needs a particular PTF in error,
then open an SR to see if IBM will give you an APAR testfix. This is itself the
start of a whole new adventure that you may come to rue down the road.
Reconsider the pill option. It's your choice.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services