From: John McKown [joa...@swbell.net]
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 9:40 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Disk data set space allocation, philosophy

I decided to ask this forum about a "problem" we have were I work. In
summary, the programmers don't want to be forced to specify SPACE
parameters in the JCL (or IDCAMS DEFINEs). They also don't want to be
forced to use SORTWKnn allocations or do specify any SIZE type
parameters in the controls. This latter works for JCL invoked DFSORTs. I
have set the default so high that it can sort almost anything in the
shop. I say "almost" because we had a job abend SE37-08 in an internal
sort. My solution was to tell the person responsible for the job to
change it to include about 30 SORTWKnn DD statements with
SPACE=(CYL,(2000,100)). The only reason that I said so "over the top"
was to be 99.9% sure that would be enough. But I will bet that the
programmer will complain.

They, basically, just want the system to handle space allocations. We do
not have, and WILL NOT ACQUIRE any software such as SRS. We only use
what is available with DFSMS and DFSORT. The previous storage
administrator set up every DISK DATACLAS with a Dynamic Volume Count of
59, which is the max, and told the programmers to use
SPACE=(CYL,(500,100)) for everything, unless they thought that they
needed more. The tape DATACLAS is set up to make the default 190 tapes,
instead of the "normal" 5, because "it would take too much work to make
JCL changes". This latter I can understand because 90% of the work is
putting in Change Control paperwork (no, this will not change).

I have tried everything that I can think of to basically tell SMS to
allow "unlimited" allocations. Have I missed some SMS parameter? Should
I make all sequential data sets "extended format" so that they can have
123 extents per volume instead of only 16? Is there any negative to
this? More CPU, slower I/O, anything? Does it work with DFSORT SORTWKnn
DDs, the DFSORT manual seems to say that it does.

If you noticed from previous messages, IT management is anti-z/OS so
they basically just don't work to be bothered with it. Like because
MS-Windows is such a POS that they need to concentrate on it. Makes me
wonder why they adore it.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><