Chris Mason wrote:

>> 'Maximizing the SNA RU size reduces end-to-end acknowledgments at the 3270
>> application level.'
>This is just common sense.

Thanks. Agreed.

>In order to illustrate the point I'm assuming you have to send 10K of data and
>the flow control parameters are such that each unit of data sent must be
>acknowledged - just to keep it simple.

>- If you send 10 units of 1K you are obliged to wait while 10 acknowledgements
>are returned.
>- If you send 1 unit of 10K you are obliged to wait while 1 acknowledgement is
>returned.
>QED!

Thanks for this useful explanation.

>I am a great advocate of regular monitoring of buffer pool patterns of use.
>First of all I advise that dynamic buffering should be used. Then I advise to
>guard against "too much" or "too little".

This is what my VTAM and TCP/IP guys and gals doing. When VTAM is doing a
GETMAIN for more buffers, all using VTAM need to wait for that GETMAIN to
complete. Not a problem, but observable especially when all and everyone is
logging on in the morning after the previous night IPL.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht