Robin,

Do you have a tape management system?  CA1 TLMS RMM?  If not, then you would
need to read the labels on the tape to get this information.  Or you will
need to add other processes to your environment to gather the information.
Some of the information may be in SMF data records.  Check out the DAF
Utility on the CBTTAPE.ORG to look at different type of Assembler Coding for
SMF records that might contain your information.

Lizette

Behalf
> Of Robin Atwood
> Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:14 AM
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Subject: How to get a tape's DSCB
>
> I am investigating the use of catalogued tapes. We have created one such
and you can
> see it with ISPF 3.4, although line commands are prohibited . The existing
code I am
> working with dynamically allocates the DSN on the tape, reads the JFCB and
then
> issues the OBTAIN macro to get DSCB information. However, with a DSN on a
tape
> volume you always get RC=4, "Volume not mounted" (the TSO LISTDSI command
tells
> you the same thing). But of course, the tape *is* mounted. I can run
IEBGENER and