>But this surely has little if anything to do with the size of the physical
>drives used by the makers of storage subsystems.

If storage array makers are using 1TB drives vs the 73GB that was typical just
a couple years back, this should translate to many  fewer drives.  Which should
translate to lower power consumption and heat generation, which was the
original point I was trying to make.  And John Eells can tell us if going to
the 2.5 in form factor is in their plans.  If so, this could indicate that
power consumption will be ever further reduced.

One thing that would be interesting to learn: how much of a typical data
center's power consumption is attributable to storage subsystems, including
RAID and Virtual Tape?