Jonathan Goossen wrote:

>> we ran into a company that had modified the 3490 microcode to read data that
>> existed after the tapemark at the end of the overwriting data.

Sounds messy, but, luckily, this is not my machine... ;-)

>There are at least two software vendors that sell products that read past the
>end of data tape marks. I used one of them several years ago to recover data
>from a tape that was accidentally overwritten due to a system crash.

Will that stunt works with VTS? I mean, since VTS is supposed to *emulate*
tapes (34980/3490/Magstar/etc),  in theory you could do that little trick.
Possibe or not? What will those hardware do when receiving such a CCW?

Just curious...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

I have an IBM 5081 2260 tape (cylinder of rolled-up ugly brown tape within a
transparent cap) sitting on my desk gathering dust after all these years. Do
you get a VTS which could *emulate* those ancient toys? ;-D