From: Thomas Conley <pinnc...@rochester.rr.com>
Sender: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 17:10:51
To: <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: DFSMShsm Abend S878

On 10/4/2012 4:39 PM, Munish Sharma wrote:
> Hello
> I  have faced the same problem around 2 years back... I was told that this
> was just CPU's mess while talking to z/OS.. and it victimized DFSMShsm..
> later one by one all the DB2 keep going down with same error... I thought IBM
> had fixed it...
>
> Best of luck with APAR...

Munish,

It's not CPU's mess, and HSM is not a victim.  It's what happens when
too many DFDSS tasks are running in HSM.  Use the DSSXMMODE(?) SETSYS
parm to run DSS in its own cross-memory address space.  This was done
for VSCR in the HSM address space, to prevent 878's and other
region-related abends.

Regards,
Tom Conley