While Ed and I differ on the need for CHECK and on the practice of
injecting maintenance directly into the body of a running system, we agree
on the pointlessness of chasing down sysmod error chains. SMP/E is
designed--at some considerable cost in blood, sweat, and tears--*not* to
install any sysmod whose pre- or co-req fails for any reason. All manual
labor to Sherlock the labyrinth of sysmod interdependence accomplishes the
same result as SMP/E does with no effort on your part. This is not about
weighing various outcomes. The outcome will be *the same* whether you code
up iteratively more complex EXCLUDE lists or just let SMP/E do the job
you're paying it to do. Look at the CAUSER report to learn which sysmods
were patient zero in each error chain. Investigate these few if you wish
to satisfy yourself that no GA PTF actually exists. Then you're done.

A clarification on the practice of 'cloning' environments. As long as you
have the modest luxury of keeping a couple of sysres sets around--way
cheaper than it used to be in the days of SLED--you can maintain one full
set of Target volumes where all maintenance is installed.  You clone that
set to produce an IPL set. Future maintenance goes against the same Target
set, which is updated *only* by SMP/E. The Target set lives on until the
next ServerPac creates a new one. Ad infinitum.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services