In <45fcfbbb8bc8eb4a9dfedc6fa2cc7fdf2dbed...@sdkmbx02.emea.sas.com>,
on 11/18/2012
   at 01:55 AM, Lindy Mayfield <lindy.mayfi...@sas.com> said:

>May I infer, then, that you are talking about "serious" issues
>where the program better get it right the first time, especially
>when updating these control blocks (1) that are being discussed
>at the moment.

The issues are serious in general, especially when updating control
blocks. However, the Devil is in the details.

>And simple interfaces to storage, such as Rexx  need have
>different requirements, thus because of simple functions to read
>storage be exempt from this discussion?

The requirements don't change; what changes is your ability to satisfy
the requirements.

The case under discussion is one where an unauthorized program needs
to read a control block but not update it, and where garbage output is
acceptable. Change those constraints and the requirements change; it's
at that point that the term "Russian Roulette" becomes relevant.

>(1)  Who can update these control blocks?  I think from reading this
>only z/OS can.  (or should, you guys do what you want, seems like,
>then justify it like I just did.)

Again, the Devil is in the details, but, in general:

 1. Don't do it if you don't understand the rules.
 2. Follow the rules if you can,
 3. Don't break the rules unless you understand the possible[1]
    consequences and can live with them.

[1] All of the consequences, not just best case or most likely.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>