Lindy,

I have received several private, offlist requests for elucidations of
the same sort you make.

I suggest that you read the descriptions of the ENQ and DEQ macros in

z/OS MVS: Assembler Services Reference, Volume 1 (ABEND-HSPSERV), SA22-7606.

Some of the computer science literature talks instead about
serialization and semaphores (Dijkstra's term, a metaphoric hijacking
of the European word for what Americans usually call 'traffic
lights').

Also worth looking at are the discussions of the Test and Set (TS)
instruction and its more powerful brethren, the most recent of which
is Perform Locked Operation (PLO),  in z/Architecture Principles of
Operation, SA22-7832.

These notions are important ones.  What needs to be emphasized about
them is that they all make use of a mixture of conventions and
hardware help.  If you and I and others agree to adhere to a set of
such conventions, then we can safely share access to serially reusable
resources.  If not, not.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA