OK, I take the "conservative" assertion back, and yes, SNOBOL was there first!
I still own the book :)

I would want to encourage all to use the current state of the art that I
labored to port into the z/OS environment (and soon to z/VM as well.)  Please,
learn the concept, use it and advertise to everybody else!  PCRE is the most
Perl compatible library available and is actively maintained.

I pledge to continue to maintain the port as well.  At a certain point, pretty
soon, once the process is stabilized, I will publish my porting scripts as well
[as open source] so it will be as open as open source should be.  I just have
to warn you that the scripts are in Perl and use regular expressions naturally.

One point about conservatism.  We do not have 'make' on the mainframe, so
instead of conservatively and manually creating the INCLUDE list for the
binder, I'd automated the process by asking the binder what does it miss and
resolving it for next time.  Pretty conservative, indeed!

Ze'ev