Ze'ev,

z/OS Unix certainly does have make.   Its not a problem building C and
assembler source into a regular load module with make; you just have to put
your source in a z/OS Unix directory.

There is also a port of gmake available; some Posix FOSS software won't
build with the z/OS make.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com