I specified a headrange of 16 tracks.  It does not issue an error
message for too many tracks, it writes on all 15 tracks in every
cylinder, all cylinders are written on (based on time (45 minutes/
MOD3) and cylinder count).  What TRKFMT does is write fulltrack
records of all B'00', B'11', and B'10'  then an empty track record,
per a ETR question about 10 years ago.

ICKDSF - MVS/ESA    DEVICE SUPPORT FACILITIES 17.0                TIME: 23:37:02

   TRKFMT ERASEDATA HEADRANGE(0,15) CYCLES(1) UNIT(3A0A) VERIFY(ZZ3A0A)
ICK00700I DEVICE INFORMATION FOR 3A0A IS CURRENTLY AS FOLLOWS:
          PHYSICAL DEVICE = 3390
          STORAGE CONTROLLER = 2105
          STORAGE CONTROL DESCRIPTOR = E8
          DEVICE DESCRIPTOR = 0C
          ADDITIONAL DEVICE INFORMATION = 48000035
          TRKS/CYL = 15, # PRIMARY CYLS = 10017
ICK04000I DEVICE IS IN SIMPLEX STATE
ICK00091I 3A0A NED=002105.000.IBM.75.000000029651
ICK03091I EXISTING VOLUME SERIAL READ = ZZ3A0A
ICK00001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0
          01:56:39    08/30/12

About 2 hours 20 minutes per Mod 9 IBM ESS 800 72GB Raid-5 6+P+S.
Erasing 2 volumes at once on an 8-pack would slow each volume to about
3.5 vs 4.6 hours one at a time.
Erasing 3 volumes at once slowed each volume so much it did not result
in any decreased elapsed time.
Erasing 1 volume on 20 8-packs at once over 8 ESCON cables did not
result in slow downs.
Speed for other DASD devices I erased had different timings and will
vary for you.

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA