Mike,

Have you confirmed with each DASD vendor that the contents of the channel
command generated by TRKFMT ERASDATA are actually passed to the disk drive
for drive types, parity schemes and volume formats?

To paraphrase your description, TRKFMT writes fulltrack records to cache
then an empty track record to cache. The empty track record is all that
makes it to the physical disk drives.

In the case of Hitachi Dynamic Pools (HDP), if you erase a whole 38MB chunk
like this there is nothing destaged and the chunk goes back in the free
pool.

Ron

23:37:02

>    TRKFMT ERASEDATA HEADRANGE(0,15) CYCLES(1) UNIT(3A0A)
> VERIFY(ZZ3A0A) ICK00700I DEVICE INFORMATION FOR 3A0A IS CURRENTLY
> AS FOLLOWS:
>           PHYSICAL DEVICE = 3390
>           STORAGE CONTROLLER = 2105
>           STORAGE CONTROL DESCRIPTOR = E8
>           DEVICE DESCRIPTOR = 0C
>           ADDITIONAL DEVICE INFORMATION = 48000035
>           TRKS/CYL = 15, # PRIMARY CYLS = 10017 ICK04000I DEVICE IS IN
SIMPLEX