At 06:11 -0600 on 12/18/2012, Donald Likens wrote about Re: 64 Bit Common Storage (was Common Data Space Basics):

n defense of IBM it does say in the Principle and Operations... The BRANCH AND LINK instruction (BAL and BALR) is provided for compatibility purposes. It is recommended that, where possible, the
BRANCH AND SAVE instruction... All I had to do it read the manual.

There is also the issue that BAS/BASR does not always produce the same result as BAL/BALR based on some factors such as AMODE. I know that in AMODE 24 BAL/BALR will supply information in the high byte of the return register that is no supplied by BAS/BASR. In AMODE31 I think the results are the same (I do not have a PoPs at hand to check).