Happy New Year to everybody.

Barbara, I'm sorry for the delayed response. I've been too busy with the
year end porocessing.

>>Let's assume you start your TSO session (your ID is BARBARA), then do
<>something with Z/OS UNIX that starts a new UNIX *non-local* process.
>A simple 'tso ishell' will start two BPXASs:
>BPXP024I BPXAS INITIATOR STARTED ON BEHALF OF JOB BARBARA RUNNING IN
>ASID 0030
>BPXP024I BPXAS INITIATOR STARTED ON BEHALF OF JOB BARBARA1 RUNNING IN
>ASID 001E
>x'30' is my TSO userid, and asid x'1E' is so short-lived that it is gone
>(without a trace, no BPXAS, no nothing) at the time I look at the log.
>According to what you wrote, I *should* see at least one BPXAS being
>idle (in asid x'1E'). There is no asid x'1E'.

No, the BPXP024I message documents the ASID that caused this BPXAS to be
startet. That ASID may or may not be another BPXAS. Since you mention X'1E'
I'd say this is a system address space started during IPL. One of these that are
starting UNIX work, and thus are initiating BPXAS starts, is BPXOINIT.

>The SDSF ps display shows
>two processes in asid x'30' - in my TSO asid, one for EXEC and the other
>for /bin/fomfuish.

Yes, the first process is the ISHELL REXX and the second one is started
to be able to display time/date values in your timezone, provided there
is one configured in your UNIX shell environment. (The BPXAS that has
been used for a short time is part of this processing.)

>Once I leave ishell, the two processes are gone. No message in syslog.
>No idle BPXAS anywhere. I must be missing something.

No, you're not missing anything. The two processes are *local* processes,
i.e. they run in your TSO address space. You confimed this when you saw
two processes in your ASID X'30' in SDSF's PS display.

No address space terminated just because you quit ishell. Therefore
no end of AS messages are logged.

>Is there a magic command that I am unaware of that would show me idle
>BPXASs, provided they exist?!?

Have you tried "DA ALL" in SDSF or "D A,BPXAS" on the console. SDSF
does not show idle initiators in the DA unless you proivde the "ALL"
parm.

>But then, OMVS/Unix never really made sense to me.

It's not a question of whether it makes sense or not. It is an integral
part of z/OS and even system tasks (TCP/IP, DB2, IMS, etc., etc.)
make use of it. There is no way around it anymore.

--
Peter Hunkeler