On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 06:01:29 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 01/02/2013  at 09:37 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:
>
>>Only if that putative scanner did a far better detection of syntax
>>errors in JES2 parms than TYPRUN=SCAN does for JCL.
>
>EXPN?

IIRC, last time I tried TYPRUN=SCAN it didn't report something as
egregiously wrong as DSN longer than 44 characters.  Or perhaps
it was more than 8 characters between dots.  "That's not the type
of error SCAN is supposed to report" is not a satisfactory rebuttal.

I'm more inclined to use TYPRUN=HOLD and cancel the job (or
RELEASE it if it's OK.)  And others tell me that yet more syntax
errors are not detected until the job initiates.

-- gil