On 1/28/2013 8:36 AM, John McKown wrote:
I'm jealous. Wish I could retire. Thankfully, I only live 15.4 miles
from work. Most likely, this will be my last job. When they "let me
go", I will likely be unemployable due to age and health. My boss says
that I might be able to get contract work, as needed, as a sysprog. I
did that for about a year when I was only about 40. I did not like it
at all. Many problems with actually getting the company to give me any
money. I had to walk of the job in the middle of a project, owned over
a month's wages, before they paid me.

I understand that if you are a contractor to a body shop,
the body shop is often not paid for 45 days (I hear IBM is
one of the culprits here), then the body shop won't pay
it's people for another 45 days. 90 days before the worker
gets paid is not anywhere near fair, but they got you.

Fortunately (knock on wood), I have _never_ been stiffed.
But I have had to wait as long as 120 days (accounting and
paperwork snafu's on their end, so they say). But lately
companies have been paying reasonably quickly. My favorite
clients even pay in advance(!).