I harped for the Zseries .... but a ot to be said for the Iseries as
well...In the furture I see one hardware platform .. sort of see that
direction...the up to you..to pick size and OS for your needs...

From:   Scott Ford <scott_j_f...@yahoo.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   01/30/2013 03:30 PM
Subject:        Re: mainframe "selling" points
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Don,

What's really disconcerting is that the z/OS knowledge base is
disappearing. JVM isn't the end all in languages. I write a lot of an
gauges, including C. Yes, I am a big Linux fan

Scott ford
www.identityforge.com

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll
understand. - Chinese Proverb

On Jan 30, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Don Williams <donb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For now, IBM has legacy customers over a barrel and can demand a high
price
> for the mainframe hardware and operating systems. But for developers of
new
> apps, they can choose a different platform, esp. if they believe that
their
> customers will purchase whatever platform it takes to run them. I think
> eventually (i.e., over decades) legacy applications will be replaced
with
> newer slicker apps that don't require IBM's big iron.  Hmm, in the
decades
> to come, will IBM be able to continue to command a high price for its
big
> iron?  Will employees who work with big iron continue to be well paid?

Email Disclaimer
This  E-mail  contains  confidential  information  belonging to the sender,
which  may be legally privileged information.  This information is intended
only  for  the use of the individual or entity addressed above.  If you are not
 the  intended  recipient, or  an  employee  or  agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure,  copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on
the contents of the E-mail or attached files is strictly prohibited.