From:   "Joel C. Ewing" <jcew...@acm.org>
Date:   02/07/2013 05:27 PM

<snippage>

The Wood history of HASP/JES2 left hanging the question about the origin
of the term "spooling".  Various authorities credit SPOOL as being an
acronym for either Simultaneous Peripheral Output On-Line or
Simultaneous Peripheral Operations On-Line, used to describe a process
which pre-dated S/360 by at least half a decade where card images and/or
print lines were staged through much faster I/O devices (magnetic tape
in the old days) to keep slow printers and card equipment from being a
bottleneck on expensive mainframes of the day.

This acronym always seemed a tad too cute.  Since early "spooling"
systems staged unit records  to a spool of magnetic tape, it would have
been natural to refer to this process as "spooling", which makes me
suspect that was the inspiration for someone to invent SPOOL as a
backronym to fit, and allow continued use of the term after spools of
tape were no longer the staging media.
<snip>

Perhaps one should ask someone with long Burroughs experience? I mention
this because of past acquaintances who worked for Burroughs and explained
a few things they had done before any other computer manufacturer. SPOOL
reminds me of the command they had called "SPO" which as I recall was used
to control SPOOL (I do not have any direct operations experience with
Burroughs equipment).

Regards,
Steve Thompson