Historically "Spool" has had a long association with the weaving/rope making
industry and thence to wire cable & electrical wiring.

Possibly the imagery of how an industrial weaving loom worked fitted in with
the concept of what was trying to be achieved and last but not least it may
well have been developed in Ibm SPOKANE and the guys there wanted to put their
own stamp on it and were looking for an SPO prefix that matched up.

After all, DFH = Denver Foot Hills. IDC = International Data Corporation.

What better way to be remembered if you aren't allowed to stick your personal
name on it.

And for another bit of history, paper tape/punched cards were used in
industrial weaving looms back in the late 1800's to mass produce carpet and
other fabrics to the same design & quality.

As of a few years ago, there was at least one working "museum" weaving shop in
the UK midlands where it could be seen in action, about a 100 yard loop of
heavy duty punched card.

Regards,
             Dave

In <51143860.7030...@acm.org>, on 02/07/2013
   at 05:27 PM, "Joel C. Ewing" <jcew...@acm.org> said:

>The Wood history of HASP/JES2 left hanging the question about the
>origin of the term "spooling".

Do you consider SPOOL System, 7070-IO-076 to be of sufficient
antiquity?

'"SPOOL" has become a common verb, but originally was itself an
acronym signifying Simultaneous Peripheral Operations On Line. This
acronym originated with the 7070 computer, which had a system of
interrupts that let one program a peripheral activity (e.g.,
card-to-tape, tape-to-print, tape-to-card) while a main program was
running.' (Dictionary of IBM Jargon, Tenth Edition)

>Since early "spooling" systems staged unit records  to a spool of
>magnetic tape,

I've only seen reels of tape called spools in an audio or TV context;
prior to cartridges and MSS the terms I heard were "reel" and "tape
volume".

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>