On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:07:08 -0500, Scott Ford wrote:

>Not following your thought, folders or file names can be any combination of
>upper or lower case...at least on Windoze 7

So, show me, please, a single folder containing two files whose names
differ only in the case of some of their characters.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:10:39 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>XP. I think MacOSX is like Windows in that respect, but I could be wrong.

You have your choice: a filesystem may be formatted as either
case-sensitive or not.  No finer granularity; can't change an
existing filesystem; can't specify directory-by-directory.  I assume
stat(), etc., accommodate the fs type.

Samba is schizophrenic (but it may be Sun-peculiar).  I can mount via Samba
on Windows a Solaris-served filesystem having a directory with two files
whose names differ only in case of characters.  Exploder shows both.
When I click on one, it's unpredictable (perhaps repeatable) which one
actually opens.  They could have done better.

UTF-8 is very much becoming the mode; even on Windows.  What is the
semantic of case-insensitivity among files named, e.g. in Cyrillic UTF-8?
It's pretty well defined, but is it implemented correctly?

-- gil