Dana Mitchell writes:
>The trouble is that not *all* functions can be performed from a 5250
>session.  Conversely not all functions can be executed from any one of
>the gui's either.  This creates a dog's dinner of interfaces required
>to perform all the duties needed to be an admin on an i system.

With the exception of the classic Mac OS (which didn't have a command line
per se and wasn't really a server operating system), I'm hard pressed to
think of any server operating system that doesn't have the same split. The
ratios and overlap may vary and evolve, but there are always times when the
command line is essential and times when the graphical/Web interface is
essential for administration. Even in Mac OS X (Step 1: Open Terminal, Step
2: ....).

That said, if the command line is readily accessible from the graphical/Web
interface, I don't see the problem. Routine/common tasks are point and
click, and the more arcane/infrequent stuff is available through commands.

Timothy Sipples
Consulting Enterprise IT Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com