On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:10:06 -0600, Ed Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Dana:
>
>About 15 years ago I was in a IBM class (all sysprogs). The
>instructor came out and said it is IBM's hope to get rid of system
>programmers. That tells you a lot from IBM's POV. I have distrusted
>IBM ever since.
>
>Ed

IBM's plans as far as expensive sysprogs is concerned is very obvious.   Look
at the inordinate effort ($$)  they are putting into zOSMF in order to make
basic systems tasks more palletable to less experienced sysprogs.  I hope they
keep the gui facilities completely optional, and can be used if/when needed,
instead of falling into the trap they have created with managing IBM i systems.
 On an i system (don't get me started on that choice of a name for an operating
system....) there is available 5250 emulation (green screen)  and at least 2
flavors of gui's for performing management tasks.    The trouble is that not
*all* functions can be performed from a 5250 session.  Conversely not all
functions can be executed from any one of the gui's either.  This creates a
dog's dinner of interfaces required to perform all the duties needed to be an
admin on an i system.

Dana