I think that maybe they are trying to imply that if "PGM" is used, the
whole rest of the multi-line string is parsed as MVS-style program
parameters, with record  boundaries always being a parameter boundary,
and passed to the program. if "SH" is used, the entire string is passed
as the "command" argument to the unix shell, which then parses it as
unix commands plus parameters according to unix command syntax rules; so
that with only a blank at end-of-record, an in-stream end-of-line might
not be the end of a command or even the end of a parameter.   Either
way, highly confusing as would appear to be a  collision of two
paradigms.  Multiple examples of what they really meant would have been
useful.
    Joel C Ewing

On 5/15/20 8:35 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> "For in-stream data sets: with the SH option, trailing blanks are not
> truncated. Records in in-stream data sets are concatenated with blanks as
> separator characters, and the string remaining after the SH token is passed
> as a single argument to a /bin/sh -c command. For the PGM option, the string
> is divided not only at line boundaries but also at horizontal white space
> within a line. "
>
> Which doesn't make a lot of sense. If it is not taken as a single parameter
> for other file types, why not?
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3