On 5/15/20 8:51 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
I understand why they parse pgm and sh differently. What I don't understand is
why instream data should be treated differently from other datasets.

Because it's easier to present to the Unix System Services environment that way? Unix is stream oriented, not record oriented, and shell syntax is molded to that. There are shell features like "here documents" (google it) which you've probably never used that would get broken if input to the USS shell got arbitrarily broken into lines to suit the flavor of MVS/TSO/JES

--
Jack J. Woehr     # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe