All VSAM datasets including Linear are formatted when created.  The
disk space used is not allocated to any other datasets.  Previous data
left by deleted datasets is usually left in place (erase on delete is
an option but not used frequently) but frequently overwritten in a
short time so restoring a deleted data set is almost always
impossible.

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 4:25 PM Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> I want to edit the wiki article [[Disk formatting]] to clarify the statement
> "s a general rule,[nb 1] formatting a disk erases most if not all existing
> data on the disk medium". Normally I would consult the logic manuals :-(
>
> When you allocate an HFS or linear data set, does AMS preformat all of the
> tracks? When you format a zFS, does that force formatting of all tracks? Can
> you provide references that I can cite for the answers?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3