On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:45:59 -0500, J Ellis wrote:

>I have been using the link provided from the start. as noted in the link:
>stdin.0 must contain the number of lines that are to be redirected to the
>command. stdin.1, stdin.2, ... contain the lines.

Which link?  The one I posted?:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.bpxb600/wunix.htm

>that is why on STDIN i coded the ipaddr.I, and that works.

I'm surprised.
In what sense does it "work"  It doesn't ABEND?

>I am just not getting anything back in the output position:
>If stdout is not specified, your current stdout file is passed to the shell
>for stdout "
>When I try and 'say' the output, all that is in there is the text
>OUT.1,OUT.2,OUT.3 etc

Is that with the code you posted earlier?  Please show the code and
the exact output.

This could be much simplified by letting shell rather than Rexx
handle the looping:

/* Rexx */
signal on novalue  /* Just to irritate Shmuel  */

call BPXWUNIX ,
    'while read IP; do host "$IP"; done', ,
    'DD:INPUT', "DD:OUTPUT", "DD:STDERR"
exit

On Wed, 20 May 2020 14:56:39 -0500, J Ellis wrote:

>i would like to use the bpxwunix function to run, either HOST or DIG or
>nslookup commands, seems pretty straightforward ...
>
>//@TSOSYSP EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,REGION=8M,
>// PARM='HOSTNAME'
>//SYSEXEC DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYSEXEC
>//SYSTSPRT   DD SYSOUT=*
>//SYSTSIN    DD DUMMY,LRECL=80
>//STDOUT     DD SYSOUT=*
>//STDERR     DD SYSOUT=*
>//DDOUT      DD SYSOUT=*
>//INPUT      DD DISP=SHR,DSN=MYOMVS.PDSE(STDIN)

Say "Hello" to the emu for me,
gil