Ed Gould wrote:

<begin extract>
I suspect COBOL programmers want to lean how to basically code COBOL
programs and how to debug them PERIOD
</end extract>

I instead suspect that EG has described what the managers of these
COBOL programmers want them to learn.

G. H. Hardy wrote that 1) intellectual curiosity, a desire to know how
things work, 2) craftsmanship, the need to do the  best job one knows
how to do, and 3) a desire for recognition, even fame, are sine quibus
non for success at any intellectual task.

Managers who employ programmers who lack these three characteristics
get the mediocrity they deserve.

It is already clear that in the near-term future almost all real
programming will be done by hardware vendors, ISVs, and hobbyists; and
this is as well.

Mediocrity as a desideratum is a very curious notion.  When, long ago,
my wife and I sought an obstetrician to deliver our children we did
not set out to find a minimally adequate one.  Or again, when recently
I needed legal advice I did not seek out a lawyer who was not
overqualified.

It is hard to resist the conclusion that these managers, who are not
themselves programmers, have, with no understanding of the 'skill set'
that programmers need, taken refuge yet again in crackpot realism.
Production lines, particularly those that are highly automated, can be
managed.  Programming projects must be led.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA