"Laced" (every hold punched) cards were an amusing bulletin board item.

And yes, I believe I heard at the time @Jesse's premise as to why 'S' did not
use row 1.

Actually, the alpha codes are as follow:

A - I, row 12 plus rows 1 - 9
J - R, row 11 plus rows 1 - 9
S - Z, row 0 plus rows 2 - 9

So you see that if S used row 1 it would have had two adjacent rows punched, 0
and 1.

(The rows, from top to bottom, are 12, 11, 0 - 9.)

Non-alphanumeric punches were fairly rare, and column binary was extremely rare.

Object code decks of course contained non-alphanumeric punches. The X'02' that
begins each (traditional) object code record, preceding ESD, TXT, RLD or END? I
still think of it as "12-2-9.")

Charles