[Default] On 6 Jun 2020 12:43:09 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
joemon...@gmail.com (Joe Monk) wrote:

>Granted its been awhile since ive done application code, but if you
>dont end-if they become a nested condition, which I dont think was the
>original intent.

A conditional statement in COBOL is terminated either by a period or
an END-xx statement.  The arithmetic statements become conditional if
there is an "ON SIZE ERROR" clause so that there are END-ADD,
END-SUBTRACT, END-COMPUTE, etc. statements.  I-O statements such as
READ and WRITE become conditional if there are "AT END", INVALID KEY"
or similar statements so there are END-READ and END-WRITE statements.

Clark Morris