Thanks for the hint about thoroughly checking output, Michael.
I went back and studied all the saved outputs, hoping to find something
that might be helpful.
In the event, there were no indications of such problems - no error
messages or non-zero return codes - but it's as well to be sure.

Can I ask you for more information regarding what you see with the '3.2
Retrieve Workflow version' step, please?
For me, I get to the point of clicking 'Perform' on this step, and I see
that z/OSMF is about to use the REST API with the request

https://localhost:10443/zosmf/workflow/rest/1.0/workflows/3ca56936-9a81-48a0-94d9-84e28ee2d842
:

Clicking 'Next' on this results in:

IZUWF9999E: The request cannot be completed because an error occurred. The
following error data is returned: "EDC8128I Connection refused.
(errno2=0x76630291) (Connection refused)"

and so I am forced to click on 'Finish' if I am to proceed.
What do you see during this sequence?

I suspect that it's the 'localhost:10443' bit that is the root of the
problem, but I'm unsure how to circumvent it, or even to correct the
problem.
As I said earlier in this thread, I'm working through a tunnelled SSH
connection to access my z/OSMF. In the main, this is working quite happily.
That connection definition associates my desktop system's local port 10443
with the hosts systems' 10443, and the URL I use to access z/OSMF is
https://localhost:10443/zosmf.
So I'm at a bit of a loss in understanding why the connection should be
refused.

Regards
Sean