From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 8:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Everyone wants to retire mainframes"

JCL: I used to complain about JCL's arcane and in some cases backward syntax.
I mean, "COND=(0,LT,step.procstep)" - who made that up?  But somehow over the
years I've made my peace with JCL.  It is what it is.  And I would have done no
better, back then.

EBCDIC: A couple of years ago, when I was employed by a small mainframe
security consulting company, a client came to them asking for help with a
project to create a security product that would reside on a distributed
platform but handle security on the mainframe.  They were going to develop it
for a client that was using Top Secret, but it could have been any of the
three.  These folks didn't know mainframes, which is why they hired my
employers, who assigned me to the project.

I said they "didn't know mainframes"; let's start with the fact that they
didn't know about EBCDIC.  But that's no problem, right?  There are lots of
things one can do to translate between EBCDIC and ASCII.  In the process of
working on this project I wrote, my very own self, a socket server that would
handle both ASCII and EBCDIC clients.  (I mention this because I'd never done
any such thing before, and I was inordinately pleased with the fact that I
could do anything so cool.  Those of you who've done hundreds of those and take
it for granted, please don't burst my bubble.)

Then they discovered the whole issue of 3270 emulation.  And I probably wasn't
helping by trying to explain the complexities of mainframe security at about
the same time.  The client went away to think about the communications issue,
and somehow they never came back; the project never went anywhere after that.

---

/* Always look a gift horse in the mouth.  It may have hoof-and-mouth disease.
-Bob Bridges, 1977 */