edgould1...@comcast.net (Ed Gould) writes:
> We were desperate for UCB's and even looked at the 8100's but it was a
> nightmare (programming and maintenance (software long story and I will
> explain offline if requested)).

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#56 Dualcase vs monocase. Was: Article
for the boss

old email about MIT LISP machine group asking IBM (B.O. Evans) for
801/risc chips ... and he offerred them 8100 instead
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#email790711

disclaimer: Evans at one point asked me wife to audit 8100 and after she
came back with the results, 8100 was decommitted (8100 had an enormously
underpowered UC processor).

I've periodically mentioned the senior disk engineer that got a talk
scheduled at the world wide, internal, annual communication group
conference and opened the talk with comment that the communication group
was going to be responsible for the demise of the disk division
(strangle-hold that the communication group had on the datacenter,
determined to preserve their terminal emulation install base and fight
off client/server, distributed computing, etc ... and disk division
seeing drop in disk sales as data was fleeing the datacenter to more
distributed computing friendly platforms). He also did detailed case
studies of some communication group customers about horror stories ("The
Way It is Put It Together") ... one was 8100 that wanted to add a simple
feature, which required new release of 8100 software, which required new
release of 37xx/NCP software, which required new release of VTAM, which
required new release of MVS (a simple change for 8100 at one location
had enormous ripple effects that went through the whole organization,
along with multiple system operation requiring 37xx/NCP and VTAM at the
same level).

abstract:

This paper will discuss the installability, usability, and
configurability characteristics of IBM communication products from the
vantage points of their effect on customer system programmers and
eventual end users.  These products appear to become more complex
(require higher and more expensive skills) though they need to be
targeted for a wider customer base possessing FEWER skills.  The task of
mass installation of IBM communication products is often stifling for
small to medium customers.  Hence, the impact of a "business as usual"
approach to delivering products while attempting to grow a customer base
is questioned by examining real situations.

... snip ...

past posts in thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#43 Article for the boss: COBOL will
outlive us all
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#45 Article for the boss: COBOL will
outlive us all
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#51 Article for the boss: COBOL will
outlive us all
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#52 Article for the boss: COBOL will
outlive us all
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#55 Dualcase vs monocase. Was: Article
for the boss

past posts mentioning the communication group terminal emulation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#emulation