jwgli...@gmail.com (John Gilmore) writes:
> The matter can be put in even more forthright fashion.  Operational IT
> costs can be significant for, say, a bank or an airline.
> IT-development costs and IT-group budgets, on the other hand, are
> trivial.  Their effect on the bottom line is seldom significant, and
> keeping IT groups on a tight budgetary leash is almost always a matter
> of posturing.
>
> Waste is ugly, but pathological preoccupation with avoiding the
> appearance of waste is uglier.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#58 Dualcase vs monocase. Was: Article
for the boss...

at one time in the dark past ... terminals costs were approx. same as
most personal autos ... it was pointed out that professional
programmers/engineers spend many more hrs/day at terminal than hrs
driving personal car. then the costs started to widely diverge ... now
typical pc price can be less than monthly auto lease.

we would make snide references about the waste of time having high-level
executives deciding each individual case whether it was justified for a
professional to have business phone on their desk ... or even terminal
(which was even lower cost item). sounds like something out of dilbert
cartoon with head of company deciding each case of whether a person was
able to remove pen/pencil from stockroom.

recent post about a similar but different scenario with top executives
spending all their time on matters other than running the company ...
in the period when the company had gone into the red (in the Google+
"Ethernet at 40")
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013b.html#34 Ethernet at 40: Its daddy reveals its
turbulent youth
and