On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 00:21:08 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> Should they turn off their Hebrew or Chinese names too?
>
>Yes, for variables names in code samples where the language doesn't allow
>them.
>Consider these two lines in a PL/I program for a compiler that supports
>Unicode.
>The first is legitimate; the second is not.
>
>foo = bar /* פּלוני Good */;
>foo = פּלוני /* Bad! */;

I'll go further and advance the modest proposal that a compiler that supports
UTF-8
should treat non-ASCII characters as honorary alphabetic.  So your "Bad!"
example
would be Good.  Bash on MacOS and Linux goes partway there:
    506 $ touch פּלוני
    507 $ ls -alrt
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x  7 paulgilm  wheel  224 Jun 26 19:06 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 paulgilm  wheel    0 Jun 26 19:06 פּלוני
    drwxr-xr-x  3 paulgilm  wheel   96 Jun 26 19:06 .
    508 $
>> "Dumb" quotes are an artifact of typewriters and 6- or 7-bit character sets.
>
>There's nothing smart about using invalid syntax in code samples, and even
>where it's only a style issue there are millennials who don't agree with you.

OTOH, I laud modern (non-Bourne) shells for providing as an alternative
for symmetrical command substitution "` list `" the asymmetrical yet
ASCII "$( list )".  The latter can be nested without a nightmare of escapes.

-- gil