On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 09:35:25 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Sigh! I wish that IBM would train its developers to exploit the platforms
>they're writing to and not give excuses; TSO had TGET NOWAIT long before
>MVS-OE, and there is no need to simultaneously wait for terminal input and
>output.

"O, Reason not the need: ..."
-- King Lear

Users of TOPS-10, UNIX, ... on low-bandwidth full-duplex serial terminals
and CMS on 3270 have long been accustomed to typing multiple lines
into a FIFO terminal input buffer for subsequent reading by the running
program.  Can TGET NOWAIT simulate that look-and-feel?

(I've rearranged quotations below.  I believe I haven't distorted
context.  Check archives for accuracy.)

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:44:33 +0300, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 23:15:51 -0500 Bruce Hewson wrote:
>
>TSO OMVS design issue - the RUNNING/INPUT switch is to simulate TTY on a 3270
>block mode terminal.
>
>for reference, and possible solution:-
>https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxa400/misout.htm
>:>The reason for this behavior is that TSO/VTAM provides no way to wait for
>keyboard input and TTY output at the same time under TSO.
>
>Yes, it can. Use the ATTN/PA1 key to get the opportunity to enter something.

The REFRESH key is better: less disruptive.  ATTN is *so* 20th Century.

>On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:12:55 -0500, Lionel B Dyck wrote:
 <snip>
> the shell input status changes from RUNNING to INPUT
>and will not proceed until I hit ENTER.  I've waited and ENTER is a must.
<snip>
>Thanks for any tips/hints/suggestions.

Don't spend much human or CPU resource driving a square peg into
a round hole.  Pragmatic users can use SSH and zFS directories;
the masochists can stay with 3270 OMVS and PDS.

-- gil