We did setup an ipsec tunnel between our z/os system down to a group of
devices.  Our environment may be different in that the tunnel goes to our
firewall, which the devices are in a secure vlan behind the firewall.

a couple of notes:
1) the ipsec tunnel definition is between your base (i.e./ primary) ip address
and the remote end
2) your cics traffic will need to be coming from a different ip address (i.e.
also referenced as "interesting traffic").  Use SRCIP to set the ip address of
the cics region (if cics is the session initiator).  If the cics is the target,
just make sure the listener is this secondary ip address

Peter