[Default] On 3 Jul 2020 12:15:16 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
ste...@copper.net (ste...@copper.net) wrote:

>> snip
>
>Meanwhile, you must have HLASM and probably want to have the toolkit
>(separately chargeable as I understand it). You will need all the compilers
>being used COBOL, PL/1, c/C++, etc.. Can you get them under a development
>license?
>
>snip
>
>If I could (and because of who I work for, and for those of you who think I
>work for Humana, I did at one time, but things change...), I would go to a
>University or college and propose this: A Mainframe Academic center.  And I
>would tie that with somehow teaching COBOL (it ain't dead, and it is still
>growing), and possibly CICS & DB2. If IBM still does an academic licensing
>thing, then this is the cheapest way to go that I am aware of. And if you can
>get the school to do an open semester year tuition allowing one to do self
>directed studies....

As someone who still follows comp.lang.cobol and vaguely keeps track
of the ob market, I am skeptical about the growth of COBOL especially
for new projects. It would seem more productive to have customizable
packages that run on non-mainframe (z and other) systems which are at
the OS level native UTF8 or UTF16.  I would like to be proven wrong.
Incidentally with the 2002 and 2014 language enhancements COBOL is a
good tool for dealing with SMF records.

Clark Morris