> One can't control their z/OS image, because the DASD for the RES is
> controlled by the data center.

Right, one could not apply a patch to the nucleus. It is on a R/O volume. But
you have pretty good control IMHO:
- SYS1.PARMLIB/PROCLIB/etc. is your own. You can do anything you want there and
IPL as many times as you want.
- I suspect (but have never done it) you could fiddle with concatenations and
so forth and have your own writable copy of some "OS-type" things.
- You can have any current version of z/OS that you want, and stay with an old
version as long as you want.
- I get the feeling that IBM would work with you if you said "we can't tolerate
PTF XX1234 just yet -- can you hold off for us?"

But I'm not here to sell Dallas on behalf of IBM. Keep it in mind if $550/month
is not too rich for your blood. But I was mostly describing it to give a
possible baseline for discussions of "what would a mainframe co-op look like?"

Charles