On 7/5/20 6:12 AM, kekronbekron wrote:
Just wondering ... assuming there's a primary storage product out there that can store how-many-ever hoo-haa-bytes, and is a good product in general, it should make sense to begin eliminating all tape (3490/3590) use right?

I have long been a fan of the separation between online DASD and not online in the same way tape. I believe that this separation makes it much more difficult to destroy as much data when the worst happens vs if said data is on online and accessible DASD.

Even if the data is on DASD attached to a VTL, it is still separated from z/OS (et al.) running on the mainframe. I really like this separation.

This is analogues to the difference between (s)ftp(s) access to a web server verses mapping a drive in Windows. Different blast radius / area of effect when the worst happens.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die