W dniu 07.07.2020 o 07:28, Timothy Sipples pisze:
Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:
I forgot something obvious for me: NEVER USE TAPES FOR APPLICATION
DATA. No jobs should write or read tapes.
Nothing except backup and restore and (optionally) ML2. Managed by
HSM or FDR. Some excepions for archive copies are worth to consider.
I take your point, but "NEVER" is too strong. And you're acknowledging
there might be some exceptions, so let's dig into them a bit.

One notable exception that I'm increasingly encountering is in the digital
asset industry. There are occasions when they'd like to have certain
digital assets in an offline state, for example in technically and
operationally assured systems, encrypted on WORM tape cartridges
physically removed from tape libraries. In some cases that sort of
approach is what the asset owners and their insurers require. Another
potential exception involves certain content management systems, although
it depends on how they're designed.

As another example, IBM SAFR runs really don't mind source data from tape
and/or virtual tape. As long as the data streams fast enough for whatever
you're trying to do with SAFR, that's perfectly fine.

I suppose you could drive even these edge cases through DFSMShsm handling
(and manual tape loading procedures in the first example), but then you'd
need above average cooperation with application developers and owners. The
"my application knows best" philosophy is powerful, for better or worse.
You just try to do the best you can, and if there's an exceptional edge
case and consensus agreement that it ought to be handled differently (even
if you disagree), OK, so it goes.

Well, I agree "NEVER" was strong. However the context is important. This is "good advice" for someone who needs the advice. So, some simplification is justified. In many cases people need short answer instead long lecture. Regarding your case - I would classify it as archive copy. WORM is very good solution here. Of course there are no more WORM media, I mean physical WORM like CD-R (or DVD-R, or UDO). Tape cart WORM is "digital agreement" between chip inside the cart and the drive. However the media itself is regular magnetic tape. In theory "hacked" drive could overwrite it. Why I'm discussing it? Because there are WORM solutions which are disk arrays. Even IBM offer such solution (DR550). So, for tape is not the only solution for such data. Obviously disk itself is not WORM, this is microcode which makes the copy "WORM". There is another issue to consider. AFAIK solution like DR550 cannot be attached to FICON, othere vendors also do not offer such attachment. So, if you don't want to engage another (non-z/OS) system between, WORM tape seems to be more interesting.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Jeśli nie jesteś adresatem tej wiadomości:

- powiadom nas o tym w mailu zwrotnym (dziękujemy!),
- usuń trwale tę wiadomość (i wszystkie kopie, które wydrukowałeś lub zapisałeś
na dysku).
Wiadomość ta może zawierać chronione prawem informacje, które może wykorzystać
tylko adresat.Przypominamy, że każdy, kto rozpowszechnia (kopiuje, rozprowadza)
tę wiadomość lub podejmuje podobne działania, narusza prawo i może podlegać
karze.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950
Warszawa,www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kont...@mbank.pl. Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st.
Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, KRS 0000025237,
NIP: 526-021-50-88. Kapitał zakładowy (opłacony w całości) według stanu na
01.01.2020 r. wynosi 169.401.468 złotych.

If you are not the addressee of this message:

- let us know by replying to this e-mail (thank you!),
printed out or saved).
This message may contain legally protected information, which may be used
exclusively by the addressee.Please be reminded that anyone who disseminates
(copies, distributes) this message or takes any similar action, violates the
law and may be penalised.

mBank S.A. with its registered office in Warsaw, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950
Warszawa,www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kont...@mbank.pl. District Court for the Capital
City of Warsaw, 12th Commercial Division of the National Court Register, KRS
0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Fully paid-up share capital amounting to PLN
169.401.468 as at 1 January 2020.