And of course HSM duplexing for ML2 and Backup tapes automatically
covers the requirement to use different drives.  Since the  two copies
are made concurrently, that guarantees they have to be on different drives.

It should be obvious enough to not need saying, but you also don't make
two copies of critical tape data by running a copy step to make a copy
of the first tape:  a drive failure or some physical accident to the
media during the copy process may destroy the one and only copy of the
data before the copy process completes.  The original DASD-based data
should be used to generate all tape copies.

With modern tape technologies, actual failures due to the tape media
itself tend to be gradual and correctable:  during writing, data blocks
are verified as they are written and marginal spots on the media
skipped, and error-correction encoding provides redundancy and
correction when reading data if surface damage occurs later.  In a
properly maintained tape library where cartidges that start to show
issues from age and use are replaced, data loss from a media issue
should be exceedingly rare to non-existent.  That said, catastrophic
tape failure can always be induced by a device failure that causes
physical damage to the media; or by some accident, mis-handling of a
cartridge, or environment disaster that results in physical damage to
the cartridge & media.  Logical failures are also always possible, where
a series of operational mis-steps results in a valuable tape being
marked for deletion and re-used before its time.
    Joel C Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing