No, unlike C, which has only pointers to functions, PL/I has procedure
variables, which may of course be based, pointed to.

A pointer, inclusive of a procedure pointer, should be just a pointer,
no different from a pointer to an aggregate or scalar.  What that
pointer points to may of course have an arbitrarily complex structure.

In PL/I, for example,

declare s character(254) varying, sp pointer, addr builtin ;

= addr(s) ;

sets sp to ploint not to the first data byte of s, but to its halfword
current-length prefix.

This is clean.  Depoartures from it are unclean.  About
object-oriented programming I weill limit myself to saying that I
judge it misguided at best.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA