Disclaimer: I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT.
RAID is fallible. Everything is fallible.
I used RAID rhetorically, just as example of "pretty good".
And even then I urged to make backups.

Few words about RAID:
RAID is more reliable than single disk. Assuming same reliablity of disk used in RAID.

RAID is more reliable when it has spare drives inside. No waiting for CE. Less time needed to start rebuild process.

RAID6 is more reliable than RAID5. Reasons: Data on RAID6 will survive failure of 2 drives within a group. The second reason is time to rebuild. The more capacious disk the more time is needed to rebuild. At this time there is no protection.

Remote copy (PPRC, XRC, SRDF, HRC) is yet another level of protection. Disk failure will not be replicated. ;-)

Side notes:
Sometimes disk failure is not just isolated case. Sometimes it is a symptom of epidemic. What kind? Some of them: disk came form same lot, which is bad. Earthquake or just some accident in server room (someone hit the cabinet by accident ...and didn't reported it). Or microcode problem (search for HP SSD - horror story). Conclusion: when you observer disk failure, pay attention. It may be isolated case or FIRST failure you observe.

Poor quality of the array. It is rather problem of entry level home devices, but it does happen. Some guy bought "cheap" raid box, there disks and ...one day the array failed. No data, accessible, similar raid box does not recognize anything on disks. Everything looks like new and working, but there is no data. Of course that person did not make any backup for obvious reason: he has RAID. This is real story. After that I observed more cases like this one. Obviously no support available. Just warranty, but "c'mon guy, ligths are blinking, you can format disks and used it - no failure".

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland